Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Misrepresentation!!!!!

Ok, I have mentioned that I would discuss some of the antics of one recently departed secretary from work. I know, I know you are thinking.... NO DON'T DO IT! NEVER DISCUSS WORK ON A BLOG! Normally I would agree with you but since I am not mentioning names and I doubt the person in question can read.... I think I am safe.

The following is a list of "tips" to you, the reader, as things that you should or shouldn't do, be it in life in general or hey! at work either. Be aware this is the result of my experience of one semi-psychotic employee.

1) Although it happens it is probably not a good idea to be late for work on your first day. I know it sounds absolutely crazy but hey, some people actually notice these things. While on the subject, probably not a good idea to tell people you were late because you were busy screaming at your boyfriend to bring you toilet paper for over 30 minutes and he was too lazy to get out of bed. Moral to the story: At least try to make up something good or ....(this is crazy) just apologize for being late and then shut up!

2) Please show up for the interview dressed for the job. In this case, the person in question came to two interviews dressed like respectable young person ready to take on the office world. Once getting the job, do not show up to work in slippers and a holey t-shirt covered up with a dirty, smelly zipper hoodie. Moral: If you weren't offered a job to work at home.... then dress like you are leaving the house.

3) Talking to your best friend on the phone during work hours about (put the most embarrassing thing you can think of here) in front of your boss. Don't do it. Especially if you just met him. If someone says to you "Hey I would like you to meet our boss Mr. X." Hang up with your friend first and at least act interested in meeting the man that will be stroking your check. Moral: If you have no ethics, please do not brag about it in your resume. It will come to bite you in the backside!

Well this was just the tip. It really does get funnier but I have class now. later.

4 comments:

  1. oh wow, yea I think that about sums it all up. It is sad but yea some people do act like that, and I cant believe they actually think that they are professionals or whatever. Hopefully you will find a better employee the next time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually we did find a replacement already. She hasn't started yet but will next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally can relate to people misrepresenting themselves when even applying for a job. Working in the restaurant industry makes for a lot of job applicants and high turn-over. I, especially, get frustrated when people no sooner walk in the door and then say, "I need an application." "Ummmm... no you don't. Not with that attitude", is what I would like say. But, instead I say something like, "well I do not think we are doing any hiring at this time, but you are more than welcome to fill out an application. Actually, we are cutting back due to the economy."
    Another thing that makes my skin crawl would be when people ask for an application and then ask for a pen to fill it out. Are you kidding me? Come prepared, people!
    Sheesh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that person needs to rub up on some work ethic classes lol. Those tips are funny!!!! It is funny were I work we have people that are just as sloppy as you were describing. I mean I work at an assisted living facility and there are family members, nurses, potential residents and people from the community that come in and out all day. It is like have some pride in the work you do and show that you actually care. If you don't show in yourself that you care, people will think that you don't care about anything.

    ReplyDelete